Friday 1 February 2013

OPI Mariah Carey Collection Liquid Sand Swatches

It's the end of Liquid Sand Week! I am ending it with some final thoughts on what I think of liquid sand...

OPI Liquid Sand Collection Bottles

OPI described their introduction to liquid sands as "groundbreaking technology for a textured, matte finish infused with reflective sparkle." Now while the description is probably close to how I would also describe it, I wish the matte finish was MORE matte. I feel like the liquid sands were more about a gritty textured surface. I personally found that I was seeking something more matte, especially with Stay The Night.

While a lot of folks seem to be caking the top coat on these polishes, I really feel like it's defeating the purpose of the collection. I think that because the finishes may not be matte enough for some, they tend to resolve the issue but going the opposite route: making it fully glossy. It's much easier to get a glossy finish than a matte one!

Despite my wishes for a more matte leaning finish, I did find myself enjoying the liquid sands. I particularly loved Can't Let Go and despite some flaws, I really liked the combination of colours in Stay The Night. The formula was really easy to work with, and surprisingly, I had no issues with removal. No need to use any sort of foil method. Easy peasy, don't be discouraged if you are worried about removal!

Looking forward to seeing if OPI can improve on the textured finish. I really want to see more of a sugared finish. I hope that OPI doesn't go overboard with the textured trend because they sapped the shatter trend until it was long dead.

So to recap, here's the liquid sands from the Mariah Carey collection without top coat:

OPI Stay The Night Swatch

OPI The Impossible Swatch

OPI Can't Let Go Swatch

OPI Get Your Number Swatch

And, for funsies, here's the same collection WITH top coat:

OPI Stay The Night (With Top Coat) Swatch

OPI The Impossible (With Top Coat) Swatch

OPI Can't Let Go (With Top Coat) Swatch

OPI Get Your Number (With Top Coat) Swatch

Hope you guys found this useful and if you're already an owner of some of these, I hope you're enjoying them!

1 comment: