Monday 4 March 2013

Galaxy Nail Art (Inspired by Rainbow Honey)

I am running on zero sleep because I recently found out that Bandai re-released the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers morpher that I wanted as a kid. Not only that - it's freaking DIECAST and has coins for all the rangers. I am totally dying and I couldn't sleep because I kept trying to hunt it down. Sigh. Being a toy collector is weird and awkward... Anyway, welcome to Shitty Nail Art Monday! This is my most adventurous yet!

Today's Shitty Nail Art is brought to you by Rainbow Honey, who was nice enough to post her tutorial on how to do Galaxy Nails. (Check out Dee's tutorial here.) Mine aren't as good as hers but I sure damn tried!

Galaxy Nail Art

I used the following polishes to make this happen: OPI Alpine Snow, Nicole by OPI Loyalty to Royal-Ty, Rainbow Honey God of Destiny, OPI The One That Got Away, Deborah Lippmann Edge of Glory base, Essence Space Queen. I cut a small piece from a regular cheap dish sponge and I was able to use it for all the colours. I also did detailing with a dotting tool (my first time ever!) but the first details I did were too large unfortunately.

Galaxy Nail Art Supplies

Originally I wasn't planning on using glitter polishes for my first galaxy nail art but it might be good for beginners to use as it adds "instant dimension".

Galaxy Nail Art

Galaxy Nail Art

Beginner's mistake: The detailing I did with the dotting tool was just far too big. It overwhelmed the design and I was pretty sad but it is what it is, and thus Shitty Nail Art Mondays have arrived!

Galaxy Nail Art

And for a rare right hand appearance, here we go! You'd think I would have learned my lesson with the left hand but unfortunately I did go a little too big with the dotting tool. I suppose it all takes time.

Galaxy Nail Art

I've been wanting to try these for a while and I think overall they're.... mediocre... I think they could have been worse because I thought they would be so messy. Take the tip from Dee's tutorial - dab the excess polish from the sponge onto a piece of paper first and it won't be sloppy. You'll be able to build your shapes with more control this way.

As a science fiction fangirl, this is a must try!

8 comments:

  1. I love these!!! And now must add them to my to-do list!!! Totally awesome for a first try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to make galaxy nails WITHOUT glitter. Originally I was going to go after Kayla Shevonne's galaxy nails: http://www.kaylashevonne.com/2012/09/31-day-challenge-day-19-galaxies.html - I think that looks amazing! But as a beginner, the glitter is definitely a great way to start. IF YOU DO THEM, PLEASE POST!!! :D :D :D

      Delete
  2. Love this! Darth Vader made it perfect too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I have all sorts of weird things to hold for nail shots, I should totally do it more often than the good old standard polish bottle. :)

      Delete
  3. Boo you be trippin! This look is AWESOME! Plus, your swatches are fantastico as usual...loving the Vader! I didn't know you were a toy collector - how cool! I'm not big into toys anymore, but I do still have a few from my childhood that I can't seem to get rid of, including all my old Star Wars action figures. I used to love Power Rangers too! My sister and I used to fight over who got to be the pink ranger. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still fighting with the light but I think my light box is as good as it's going to get right now. I am just using 4 desktop lamps with white light energy saving bulbs. I just wish it was suitable for all sorts of polish like holo but THE SCIENCE RESISTS. Need different wavelengths of light to make that look good! Oh don't even get me started on that morpher, I literally lost an entire night of sleep trying to research it: comparing it to the original 90s one, what it's made of, if it's limited, what the going prices are on eBay, and it spawned a whole night of looking up toys and researching how to 3D print. LOL ridiculous!

      Delete
  4. Your galaxy nails look awesome! I haven't tried the galaxy nails yet, but I want to, they look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I bet it's some of the easiest beginner nail art because it's just a lot of sponging and building and you're used to that from your snowman gradient. :) I bet you would make awesome space nails.

      Delete