Thursday 28 February 2013

Essie Leading Lady Swatch

I hereby claim that No Buy February is over. It's done. I think I did pretty good with not buying any polish. I did cave a few times but such is life. I also said I would actually stop buying polish altogether if my Rubbermaid storage container filled up... Although now that it has, I am looking for other storage solutions and am tempted to get one of those IKEA Helmers.

Today I've got another polish that slipped through my No Buy. I was eye-ing Essie's Leading Lady from the get-go in December. Complete lust. I saw it a few times and then soon it just became harder and harder to find. I found this one at Save On Foods. I am thinking that it might be a limited edition release but I'm not too sure! I couldn't find any availability information on Essie's Winter Collection 2012. In either case, Leading Lady is a deep seductive bold red jelly, packed with silver glitter that gets completely overtaken and swallowed into a cohesive red abyss. This just screams burlesque to me; I love this polish just as much as I thought it would. Leading Lady is meant to be worn alone, not as a layering polish. The base red jelly is very deep and I reached full opacity in two coats. The finish is unfortunately dull and even a little too bumpy from the glitters for my taste but it's nothing a little bit of Seche Vite won't fix.

Essie Leading Lady Swatch

Essie Leading Lady Swatch

Another reason why I was so drawn into Essie Leading Lady is because of its name. I wear a pretty mean set of Jeevice retro-inspired glasses and when I was buying them, the salesman told me that the frames are referred to as "leading lady". Now unfortunately I was unable to find any actual backing reference to this but oh well. Still cool.

7 comments:

  1. I've been needing, ahem, wanting Leading Lady for what feels like ages, but Essie is so expensive :c

    Gorgeous swatch nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essie can be pretty pricey but I got these on sale at the grocery store, hehe. Also I think Wal-Mart (as much as I hate them), have Essie for $7. As a general rule, I try not to spend more than $9-10 per polish.

      Delete
    2. Sadly, as I live in Europe I don't have Wal-marts! Essie retails for 11 euro's, which is nearly $15! It's insane, so I keep my eyes open for sales :)

      Delete
  2. Beyond Cozy is also such a really cool one from this collection. I'm getting the IKEA storage next weekend hahahaha. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was eye-ing that one too but I am trying to hold off on glitters because I always like the idea of them but then I get lazy about removal. I suck, I know, haha. Please post your nail polish storage when you get them! I'd love to check it out before I get mine, haha, if I do... (Because once you get a Helmer, it's like COMMITMENT.)

      Delete
  3. Oooo I'm loving this one!
    My nail polish storage has been overflowing lately and I've been considering buying a Helmer too! I'm going to set up a little desk in our 2nd bedroom as my nail corner so maybe once I get working on that I'll get a Helmer so I can keep the area tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you take the step towards a Helmer, I would love to see your storage solutions! Apparently they can hold 400-600 nail polishes which would be great for me. I am trying not to buy dupes and I'm hitting a point where I am able to walk away, lol. I didn't think I'd ever be able to be! But this blog and all you lovely people keep me in check with at least enjoying the nail polishes themselves and not as simple retail therapy. :)

      Delete