Wednesday 10 July 2013

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch and Review (Bonus: Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil)

I went to the dentist today and had my teeth cleaned. I always feel like an asshole because I'll usually just lay there and text my friends - I don't know if it drives them nuts but it's one of the only ways I don't complain. Even when I get tattooed, I prefer just to be distracted with a phone. Like a baby and their pacifier. Oh dear. Anwyay, today I've got a polish from the backlog. So again, don't mind the white light colour balance here.

This is Rainbow Honey Oni from the Yokai collection from last fall. It seems to be sold out for the time being so I am not sure if they are going to be re-releasing it. It was a limited run last October but I got on a re-release earlier this year. Rainbow Honey Oni is a mixed flake and dust polish in a warm coffee base. There are primary bronze and gold flakes but there are subtle - VERY subtle - notes of violet shifts on some of the flakes. I wouldn't look for it though, it's only there if you look close enough. Formula is good - another two coater, and it dries with a nice finish as well. Not high gloss, and not dull or bumpy either. Here's my swatch in two coats:

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch

For funsies, (and sorry this was a long time ago in March), I used the special limited edition monthly polish at the time Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil on the tips. I am not really sure if I like it. I thought it would look OK but instead it just reminds me of a glittery flamboyant disco grass block from Minecraft, haha!:

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil)

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil)

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil)

Rainbow Honey Oni Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Pot O Gil)

I do love those circle glitters and how they look like little coins! I'll have to do a separate post on it another time!

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this one! Any guesses on what I should layer Pot O Gil over for next time? Maybe there's a better glitter topper out there for Oni? Personally I love it on its own, though!

6 comments:

  1. Oni is beautiful! And I actually like Pot'O'Gil over it. I have that one too but I have not used it yet. I'm planning to do a glitter gradient over white for next St Patty's Day.

    I've never tried texting at the dentist's. I usually just stare at the ceiling. They have that floating ceiling with holes (texture), so I look for shapes in it, hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Honey polishes are always open for so many possibilities! I just can't get to them all, it seems lol. Especially with my growing collection of polish, ahhhhh.... #firstworldpolishproblems

      My dentist used to have a little TV in the ceiling to watch movies in but it was off at the time. I found that I am really good at being distracted with my phone. I got my thigh tattooed a few weeks ago and it barely hurt because I was just on the phone the entire time.

      Delete
  2. Ugh dentist...I don't mind getting my teeth cleaned but I have too many bad experiences at the dentist office before and going in there just reminds me of them >_<. Oni is super glamourous. I actually noticed the violets in it before I read it. It reminds me of the night sky. Would be great as a base for a space themed nail art. After you put Pot O Gil over it, I got this feeling of Star Trek: Nemesis / Borg feeling. (Not sure if you have watched Star Trek)

    Not sure what would go with Oni or Pot O Gil...but I hope you find something and post about it. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because Rainbow Honey actually just released a space limited edition set of polishes and one of them REALLY looked like Oni but with a lot more purple. I'll have to do a comparison when I get my hands on it. And YES I have watched so much Star Trek!!! Haha, thanks for getting me off the Minecraft thoughts - it's all I could ever see.

      Delete
  3. http://fab.com/sale/23768/product/386666 you can still get (very tiny 4ml) mini bottles of pot 'o' gil on fab! i missed out on PoG and soul gem, the latter of which i was LITERALLY DYING FOR (okay, that may be hyperbole), so i picked up a couple of these mini sets. i'm in the US, but fab does ship to canada -- i think there is an additional charge -- and i'm not sure about internationally other than that.

    soul gem, especially, is a great layering polish from rainbow honey, imo! it looks nice over pastels, neutrals, and brights, and brings a little something different each time. i haven't tried it in a matte mani yet, but i bet i'd look pretty great there, too! i wish i'd gotten a full bottle of it, but the mini sets will do fine in a pinch, i guess. ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That limited edition mini set is SO worth picking up! I honestly would if I could. Fab does ship to Canada, but they charge $40 to ship to Vancouver, which is the most ridiculous absurd thing I've ever heard. So unfortunately, I always have to find other means to get their Fab exclusives. Really glad that the space set was available on their website after a while.

      And I LOVE Soul Gem! Super nice polish and so good for layering, or gradients, or whenever you want a touch of class.

      Delete