Friday 5 July 2013

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Search and Comparison

Holy nostalgia Friday Batman, I totally found my old Livejournal and now I wish I still wrote in it. It was GOOD reads and I wish I still maintained a blog like that. Ah well, I have you guys, right? Except, I have no idea where I am going to post my review of Animal Crossing. I'll find SOMETHING! Anyway, today I have something that has been in the making for a little while now. As you know, I have been on the search for the perfect DAVIDsTEA teal nail polish! Oh man, it's been so hard to find it but I think I've found something close.

Hint? It only came out recently.

So here's a look at the candidates for the search for America's Next Top-I mean, DAVIDsTEA teal:

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

Recognize any of them? Have yourself a guess at what you think is going to be close to a DAVIDsTEA teal. From left to right:

Wet N Wild Fergie Miami Spirit
Joe Fresh Turquoise
Sally Hansen Insta-dri Mint Spirit
OPI Fly
Jordana Boy Oh Boy
Essie Naughty Nautical

Got your guess in? Maybe this will help:

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

Here's our candidates once again next to a DAVIDsTEA retail bag, a button from their "free tea for nurses" day, and lastly, a paint chip off their wall because well it was on the floor and no one was going to pick it up. Here's my Top 4 picks for the Search for the Perfect DAVIDsTEA Teal:

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

I think the answer is already pretty obvious but I am going to go ahead and still write as if it's suspenseful (now I know how reality TV writers feel!). So, from the left to right, I have Wet N Wild Fergie Miami Spirit, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Mint Spirit, Jordana Boy Oh Boy and Essie Naughty Nautical. I am going to admit that this was very difficult to photograph. The objects have different levels of reflection and may look brighter than they are. I'll do individual reviews for each of the polishes eventually of course, so I'll try my best not to comment on the formulas.

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

Alright, so the truth is that there are the slightest discrepancies between the samples of the DAVIDsTEA teal that I am using so we could throw this whole comparison out the window and say "GOOD ENOUGH!" but I'll try not to.

Wet N Wild Fergie Miami Spirit dried too dark in nature but in regards to hue, it might have been there. Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Mint Spirit was close and had the right "brightness", but it was a tad too much on the green tones. Jordana Boy Oh Boy that was explored on this week's Cheap Polish Tuesday was also fairly close, much on the same closeness of brightness as Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Mint Spirit, but tilted too much on the blue end. Essie Naughty Nautical, which was just released last month seemed to get the memo. Compared to the retail bag and nurses button, the colour seems to be a match. Of course, the button and bag were a little more reflective. In comparison to the paint chip, it was a little too green. I find the paint used in the shop to be a little more blue. Perhaps this is to compensate for the type of lighting used? Because it really depends.

The winner? Essie Naughty Nautical. Check out how well it does against the nurses button and shopping bag:

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

DAVIDsTEA Teal Nail Polish Comparison

I wish that Essie Naughty Nautical lacked the shimmer else it could have been right there and perfect. For now, this is as good as it's going to get until, well, DAVIDsTEA takes my request and make a nail polish. (Not going to happen.)

Have you found the perfect DAVIDsTEA teal? Or are you more on the hunt for a perfect Starbucks green? Haha! What do you think of the above comparison?

12 comments:

  1. OMG I laughed so hard at the paint chip! It was just on the floor. Oh man I pretty much just have this image of you in my head ripping a chunk of the drywall off. I'm happy you finally found one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep on seeing other teals and think, HMMMM I WONDER IF.... And then I have to stop myself and say NO. NO I DON'T CARE. I DON'T CARE.

      Delete
  2. I WAS RIGHT!!!

    Hehe I feel so validated :) I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time but woot! Great comparison though. I agree about the shimmer but I find it really subtle so it's not a big deal to me even though I prefer without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was your comment on the shimmer that was the final nail on the coffin. Had to do it. There is a verrrrry subtle shimmer but eh, it's definitely close enough to the teal where I think it's time to stop searching. (And that's a good thing!)

      Delete
  3. Omfg Livejournal. I kind of hope to never find mine again xD And hahahahaha the paint chip, you're the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My LiveJournal was sooooo good. I updated monthly and it had a ton of photos and I had Advice of the Day and it was so fun to read through it. Makes me sad because I am not that personal on the Internet anymore due to fear and job hunts. You don't want your skeletons popping up on a Google search!

      Delete
  4. Woah, what a comparison! That Essie Naughty Nautical is pretty damn close! I'll still be comparing my teal polishes with the bag for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I can't wait to see your findings! I think I want to be done this search though. My collection can't hold all these teals! lololol

      Delete
  5. You would totally pick up a paint chip from the floor hahahaha. I'M SO GLAD this has been finally revealed! I now want to buy that Essie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally shameless. When it comes down to a search that has gone on for months, I do what I can! But honestly that paint chip is a lot bluer than the actual DAVIDsTEA teal used on the website and on their printed bags and merchandise!

      Delete
  6. Warning, I am going to fess up on something awful...

    I don't have any teal nail polish. There. I said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it's OK! I don't have any oranges or yellows! Teals totally call out to me when I am s hopping. I can't help it!

      Delete