Wednesday 10 April 2013

Cult Nails Time Traveler Swatch

I've been listening to Hole all day, slinking back into my Californication fantasies of running away to LA but then I come back to managing bit.ly links, editing photos and somehow that's fine for me. For now. Anyhoo, onto some nail polish.

Here's Cult Nails Time Traveler. The name Time Traveler is an ode to Doctor Who, and the shade is definitely aiming to mimic the TARDIS blue. It does a decent job in tone, and I've always recommended to Doctor Who fans to pick up this shade for the humble name reference. The formula itself is very smooth and applies nicely in two coats. I find this shade to be very deep and the colour is only in the spotlight in brighter light. For those of us in greyer weather, it seems like a very dark navy, almost black from a distance. My swatches below are two coats without top coat:

Cult Nails Time Traveler Swatch

Cult Nails Time Traveler Swatch

And here's Time Traveler used as a base colour for OPI Polka.com:

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Cult Nails Time Traveler)

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Cult Nails Time Traveler)

While I recommend Cult Nails as a polish, I find myself a bit disappointed with Cult Nails' social media interactions with me. I started buying Cult Nails in late 2011 and kept telling everyone about this indie polish that was a MUST HAVE! I had feedback on Reddit where some folks said they were skeptical about buying the polish because there weren't any swatches on their shop. I emailed Cult Nails and let them know and about a day later, they linked their blog post with swatches to their shop. Cult Nails grew quickly. I used to reply to them on Twitter with their posts, participate in contests, let them know when I encountered an error and had no response. I don't expect responses, I understand that they are now a fairly large indie company. However, the one and only time I have received any kind of response back from Cult Nails in the 2 years of being a customer, was a short monosyllabic response to a simple joke I made about breaking my No Buy February.

Am I a little butthurt? Yes. I'll admit it. But when you're an owner of nearly 35 polishes (which totals to over $400 at current prices) that I bought with my own money, I do get a little upset as an early adopter and fan. Seeing Cult Nails interact with every other nail blogger in polite and ecstatic ways leaves me a bitter taste in my mouth.

It's a shame because their polishes are truly great.

15 comments:

  1. Love dark blues! I have yet to own a Cult Nails :( I am so lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's lame; I'm still bitter and haven't bought from them this year. :/

      Delete
  2. You go girl! Love their polish. Not a fan of the company anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be a fan of the company, but after that short emotionless response after seriously being a super fan... I just don't know what would change my mind.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful blue, and that flawless finish and shine without a top coat is to die for!

    It sucks about the company though. Every customer counts and they need to appreciate that. They would not be where they are today without loyal fans like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a beautiful blue but one reason why I chose to use it with Polka.com was because it was similar to another shade in the Euro Centrale collection. I hate to say it but it's not unique. Obviously I have a bitter bias now, but if someone wants that "TARDIS blue", that would be the only nod of approval I'd give because of the reference.

      Just to clarify - I'm not looking for any like, spotlight, or special attention but just... politeness! You know, I honestly think that warranted a no reply, just like all the other times she's ignored me. #butthurt

      Delete
  4. Lmao, it's not nice but I admit I laughed way hard at that twitter reply. Way to not get it. I've had similar interactions with them as well, so it's not just you. I've got three, including this one and while it is nice, I doubt I'd ever buy from there again. Great swatches though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You! Why haven't I followed your blog yet?! HI! :D :D :D

      It's nice to hear that others share the same sentiments. I always feel like I am the one left out while everyone is fangirling over her outfit of the day, or protecting her over the whole diamond earrings giveaway bs (for the record, I was one of those people who stood up for her). Now I honestly don't give a rat's ass and I hate that my Cult Nails collection is in my Helmer's second drawer. I do have to give credit to her husband who supports her to no end and is more polite than her with the community.

      Delete
  5. I love how they preach about empowering women, yet they shit all over one of their biggest fans who provides a lot of quality swatches, marketing, and more that reaches a large audience. Their behavior is pretty messed up, and I'm sorry you're facing it. Rainbow Honey is one of those brands that is getting huge, yet their customer service remains impeccable, so being a pretty large brand is no excuse for Cult Nails, especially if she had the time to be a complete bitch to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll always be a fan of Rainbow Honey. I never expect replies from them either (they're getting pretty big too) but whenever they have replied, it's always been polite. I just live by the mantra - if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say it. It sucks because I just have this massive collection of Cult Nails and I don't want to use them because it just irritates me. She raised the price to $12 and I kept on saying, well, you deserve it because you make a quality product and you have to keep afloat but jeeez, I don't care anymore. She probably doesn't - I am just one fan, she has many and growing.

      Delete
    2. I have always maintained that even if it's just one fan, you should apologize and make amends. There's a difference between a crazy, asshole fan and one who is genuinely confused and made a lighthearted joke. I have yet to see anyone upset with RH, and they're pretty huge. I hope this girl gets her act together because even just a simple "I'm sorry to have upset you" is worlds better than snark and silence. I won't be buying from them - and $12 is ridiculous.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is an old post, but I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with it. It truly annoys me that there are only "certain" bloggers/people she interacts with on Twitter. It really bugs me! I have about 28 of her polishes and I've tweeted about them a few times even RT'd when they were having specials, but there is never any interaction with them (I guess because I'm just a regular person and not a special blogger). Buying her polishes have kinda taken a backseat now. Not very fond of her customer service (or lack thereof, I should say), plus the $12 price tag is an extreme deterrent. Had to delete the first comment because I found a typo. :)

      Delete